Skip to main content

Homo Stupidus

I knew their plot because the LORD informed me; at that time you, O LORD, showed me their doings. Yet I, like a trusting lamb led to slaughter, had not realized that they were hatching plots against me: "Let us destroy the tree in its vigor; let us cut him off from the land of the living, so that his name will be spoken no more." But, you, O LORD of hosts, O just Judge, searcher of mind and heart, let me witness the vengeance you take on them, for to you I have entrusted my cause! (Jeremiah 11:18-20)

We all should watch out for those who would speak against us out in the open or behind closed doors.  We should not be naive trusting lambs led to slaughter by lies and innuendo and social media rumors and direct assaults on our integrity and moral character.  There are those who take pot shots at us hoping to nail us to some cross of their making.  Such is human nature and our species’ collective failing, or fall.

Now, here is an unreasonable and foolish request some of us might make of God: “O just Judge, searcher of mind and heart, let me witness the vengeance you take on them, for to you I have entrusted my cause!” This is revenge in its purest form with a call for God to punish those who hatch those plots against us.  When will we ever learn that it’s a fool’s errand to ask our loving God to go against divine nature.  Homo sapiens [wise] is a misnomer.  We are more like Homo stupidus or idioticus.  

Deacon David Pierce

Comments