Skip to main content

Shrouded













I’m concerned and disturbed.  Why? Because the man for whom I have great respect just misled me, and all his many followers, in my opinion.  He went out on a shaky limb to provide “evidence” of the resurrection, and he provided that “evidence” as the centerpiece and thrust of his Easter Sunday sermon.  He concluded that the Shroud of Turin was that “evidence.”  I do not believe the Turin cloth has Jesus’s image made at the moment of his resurrection.  Yet Bishop Barron does.

My reasoning is provided below in a previous blog entry about the Shroud.  What follows is what I wrote.

(begin) Dr. Lavoie spoke about the Shroud of Turin at Christ the King.  He believes it is the 14-foot, one-piece shroud of Jesus and is “the sign John ingeniously concealed.”  I’m a long-time wonderer about this intriguing cloth.  I started back in 1998 when I read Time Magazine’s article: “The Shroud of Turin.  Now it’s back on display, the debate flares anew: Is this Jesus?” 

I listened to some of Dr. Lavoie’s presentation.  I have read some of his book.  I appreciate his perspective and conclusions.  I suggest you read his book and draw your own conclusions.  

Pope Francis has said, "…our thoughts go to the Virgin Mary, loving mother and attentive to all her children, whom Jesus entrusted to her from the cross, while he offered himself in the greatest act of love. The icon of this love (my emphasis) is the shroud…The shroud draws (us) to the face and martyred body of Jesus and, at the same time, impels us toward the face of every suffering and unjustly persecuted person. It impels us in the same direction as Jesus' gift of love."  It is an icon and not a relic.

Jesus’ resurrection is a matter of faith – our faith. The Gospels provide no description of the resurrection.  The tomb simply was empty. There is so much to ponder and interpret such as his later appearances.

Dr. Lavoie stated on page 97 of his book that Father and biblical scholar Raymond Brown said the Gospel of John indicated Jesus was “lifted up.” Dr. Lavoie concluded this lifting was consistent with the image of an upright man suspended off the ground. 

I still wonder about the cloth that covered his head and rolled separately in a corner.  From the Gospel of John: “…he [other disciple] bent down and saw the burial cloths there, but did not go in. When Simon Peter arrived after him, he went into the tomb and saw the burial cloths there and the cloth that had covered his head, not with the burial cloths but rolled up in a separate place…” I try to reconcile the two burial cloths with the long one-piece Shroud. Dr. Lavoie’s said on page 106 that John “saw the image of the ‘destroyed’ raised body of Jesus.”  That assumes John must have picked up the burial cloths and then saw the image. Did John stretch out the long cloth to see the entire 14-foot image?  Did he recognize it as Jesus’ imprint?  This would have been such a huge discovery, and I assume it would have been written into his Gospel for all to read and preach.  

On page 123 Dr. Lavoie has a section entitled: “The Visual Confirmation of the Fulfillment of God’s Plan for Salvation.”  He wrote: “…the Holy Spirit of eternal life, our gift from God, was paid for at the highest price imaginable.  So, what does all this mean?  It means that God’s work, God’s sign, that of the lifted Jesus of the shroud (my emphasis) that we see with our own eyes, visually confirms (my emphasis) that Jesus’ revelation of the Spirit, the Holy Spirit that gives humanity eternal life, is true…”  I suspect most of us don't need visual confirmation.  We just know he was the Risen Christ.  We take it by faith of that which cannot be seen.

I’m lifted up by the love of God and by the love around me and given to me.  I’m lifted up by the courage of those fighting injustice and tyranny.  I fall when I let hypocrites dispirit me.  I’m lifted up by the faith of those who doubt but keep persevering and desire the love of Christ.  I’m lifted up by the truth of our faith and words and deeds of our Savior described by Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. (end)

Bishop Barron mentions the cloths (plural), but continues with his belief that the long, one-piece Shroud covered Jesus [head included].  Note: The Church permits the faithful to come to their own conclusions on the shroud. The faithful are permitted to venerate the shroud, study its details and view it when it is displayed. However, the shroud is not part of the deposit of faith in which Catholics must give full assent of the mind and will. Our faith in the Resurrection does not depend on the authenticity of the shroud but on the testimony of the apostles (my emphasis). Bishop Barron’s position may have a greater influence and effect on Catholics than the Vatican’s position.  He appears to be all in. I’m wary and surprised he would go so far out on that limb.

Also, consider the size of the man’s head on the Shroud when compared to the rest of the body.  The proportion appears wrong.  The head is far too small. The hair and beard make the head seem larger than it actually is.

Many Catholics want "evidence" - proof of the Resurrection apart from reliance on faith and hope.  It's a fool's errand.  

Deacon David Pierce

Comments